Saturday, June 17, 2006

Busy Busy

OK, so I will start with talking about our day yesterday since I didn't type very much. Unfortunately, I have the aqful habit of starting these journal entries close to midnight, so I get too tired to write everything that I want to say...

Yesterday was home for single mothers (and I think 4 or 5 who were about ready to give birth in the next month or so). They had all been referred to this home by the court system- usually because their pregnancy resulted from incest or sexual abuse. Many were struggling with depression, some had rejected their own babies and wouldnt even care for them (this was sad to see- a caregiver would be appointed for the baby to make sure the needs were met, and the mother was continually encouraged to participate). I think there were around 35 girls there.

The main thing we did there was just to spend time with the girls. There were small work projects to be done, so the guys mostly did those while the women stayed with the girls. We held babies, we chased toddlers, we painted nails, we taught them american clapping games (like Miss Mary Mack, etc), and we talked to them. It amazed me over and over again how YOUNG these girls were (many 13 and 14 with toddlers teddy's size!). They were all still very much children themselves- I think the moms there played on their playground more than the kids!

I really got the chance to bond with alot of the girls, because they were thrilled to find out that I had little ones the same age as theirs, and that I was pregnant (so I got to connect with pretty much everyone- kids there were up to 3 years old, so not much older than teddy- and the youngest was a few weeks old). I was able to talk to one girl- her name was also Elizabeth. She was due to deliver in 3 days, and was telling me that she was afraid of going through labor and asking me about it. She also did not have a baby name picked out, but she knew that she wanted a Bible name. So, we went through names and she picked Joshua Daniel. It was cool to be part of that process.

I had been asked to share my testimony today during the presentation- since many of the girls would be able to relate to it. I did well and got through it without crying and I think that it really impacted a lot of the girls there. We also sang songs and did a puppet show for the kids. I didnt help with medical today, so it was nice to have the time to spend just talking to the girls. I can hold my own wonderfully now without a translator, which shows the truth in what I tell people "I only speak Spanish when I'm in a Spanish-speaking country!"

Today we worked in the girls home for former prostitutes, but we are going back tomorrow so I will write more about it then. Thanks for praying!

-Elizabeth

1 comment:

the quists said...

Elizabeth, I am so thankful that you are writing such detailed accounts of what you have seen and done on your trip...it really helps me know what to pray for and makes me aware of needs of the people you have met. And I wanted to say that God is awesome, and it is amazing how He uses people...I am so grateful that He can use you to minister to those girls, and how He can take painful moments from your past and use them to impact others and lead them to His love. I am praying for you, and thanking God that you have been so open to His guiding...I love you!